In recent years, Cannabidiol (CBD) has been gaining traction as a natural remedy for a variety of ailments. It's been hailed for its anti-inflammatory properties, and now it's also in demand among athletes.
CBD owes its growing popularity among athletes to the increasing legalization of medical and recreational cannabis use across the United States and other parts of the world. However, while CBD has been tested for its potential to help with muscle recovery and focus, much is still left to learn about how it affects an athlete's health and performance. In this article, we'll take a closer look at CBD athletics benefits, as well as the potential risks associated with its use.
What is CBD?
Cannabinoids already exist in our bodies through what scientists call the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is responsible for neuron activity. CBD is a phytocannabinoid naturally produced by the cannabis plant. But unlike THC, the compound in Cannabis that causes a "high," CBD is non-psychoactive and does not produce intoxicating effects.
Hemp-derived CBD is believed to promote homeostasis and balance in the body and has been used to help various ailments. It is available in a variety of forms, such as easy-to-dose Vanilla oils, tinctures, edibles, and topical creams.
CBD is legal in many countries, including the United States and Canada, as long as it is derived from hemp plants with less than 0.3% THC. While regulations vary from country to country, CBD products, such as CBD oils and topicals, are widely available in retail stores, online shops, and licensed dispensaries.
What Are CBD Benefits For Athletes' General Wellbeing?
It has been legal for athletes to consume CBD products in the USA and Canada since 2018. THC, however, remains a prohibited substance by most major sports leagues and athletic organizations, except Major League Baseball.
It's understandable why athletes may find it difficult to resist CBD's potential benefits, given its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. It’s also unlikely that CBD will result in a positive drug test, especially if you choose CBD isolate rather than full-spectrum products.
Moreover, CBD products are widely considered safe and promising, making them appealing to athletes looking to improve their performance and well-being. Some research has even suggested that CBD can reduce the risk of injuries.
While more research is needed in this area, some reports suggest that CBD products like CBD - BCAA Recovery Powder Sour Gummy can also speed up recovery time for athletes. In this article, we will explore CBD's potential advantages for athletes in more detail, so keep reading.
The Relationship Between ECS and CBD: What We Know
Scientists' understanding of how the endocannabinoid system functions and how CBD positively influences the body continues to improve. For a long time, research in this area was challenging to come by due to cannabis' legal status. Now, armed with recent studies and 2018's The Essentials of Pain Medicine, Fourth Edition, we know the following:
- These endocannabinoids bind to CB1 and CB2 receptors, which triggers a cascade of biochemical reactions that reduce pain and inflammation.
- Evidence suggests that the endocannabinoid system regulates many other biological functions, such as metabolism, mood, and sleep. As such, it's an important factor in overall health and well-being. CBD treatment for epilepsy, for example, may partially reduce seizures by reducing glutamate buildup, an excitatory neurotransmitter.
- CB1 receptors are found all throughout our brain, spinal cord, and other tissues, and CBD binding to CB1 receptors also affects the central nervous system. This means that CBD can improve cognitive functioning and decrease anxiety.
- CBD works by binding to CB2 receptors and reduces inflammation after exercise. This, in turn, eases pain and soreness. CB2 receptors are most abundant in our immune system tissues.
- CBD regulates the body's response to stress, which can minimize fatigue and improve performance.
- Adding CBD to your workout routine supports or enhances your body's endocannabinoid system, which keeps neurotransmitter levels balanced. This means better athletic performance through CB2 receptors and better focus through CB1 receptors.
HOW CAN CBD FOR ATHLETES ENHANCE A FITNESS REGIMEN?
The influx of added CBD can help the overloaded endocannabinoid system keep neurotransmitters in check and under control. This ensures that your body remains in a state of homeostasis.
Besides pain relief and reduced inflammation, CBD can enhance your fitness regimen by:
- Lowering stress levels – CBD products are increasingly trusted by health practitioners and the general public for their stress-relieving properties. With CBD, athletes can say goodbye to race-day jitters and the physical aftermath of a grueling run or workout.
- Improving sleep – A better night's rest is often the first thing people notice when taking CBD. Getting enough sleep is essential to athletic performance, enhancing recovery time and effectiveness. This is whether you're recovering from injury or a tough workout. Check out Sleep And Recovery Softgels if you are interested.
- Boosting energy – Interacting with the ECS causes CBD to act as an adaptogen, giving your body what it needs to keep the balance. This is whether it's calming the mind or recovering from exhaustion.
- Calm your stomach and reduce nausea – CBD can help alleviate gut issues as well as interact with your serotonin receptors to reduce nausea. Finally, you won't have to worry about a wonky stomach come game- or race day!
Will Athletes Face Any Side Effects OF CBD?
CBD is generally considered safe to use, with no known serious side effects. While some users may experience minor side effects such as drowsiness or dry mouth, these are usually mild and temporary. Others may experience reduced appetite, fatigue and drowsiness but these are also considered temporary side effects.
There are also no known long-term side effects associated with CBD use. Athletics are recommended to start with a low dose and gradually increase it until their desired effects are achieved.
It is also essential to consult with a trainer or a doctor before taking CBD, especially if you are taking any medications or have a medical condition. Additionally, using a high-quality, third-party-tested CBD product is important to ensure that what you get is safe and effective.
To check CBD products' purity and safety, purchase them from a reputable source. And finally, always check the label to ensure the product is free of contaminants and other unwanted ingredients.
Fusion Wholesale CBD Program, Take Part In The "Green Gold Rush"
We at Fusion CBD dream of helping retailers tap into the booming $44 billion CBD industry, also referred to as the "Green Gold Rush." Fusion's Wholesale CBD Program provides distributors with a variety of products to meet the demands of CBD lovers.
We offer quality and reliable products to our customers, and our commitment to delivering premium products has earned us a loyal and expanding customer base.
Join the Fusion CBD Wholesale Club! Many athletes from various disciplines are turning to CBD as an effective and natural way to manage their physical and mental health, and you are invited to support them in this promising endeavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does CBD Help Reduce Exercise-Related Inflammation?
Yes, CBD reduces inflammation associated with exercise. It works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system, which regulates inflammation in the body. Studies have shown that CBD can ease inflammation caused by exercise-induced muscle damage, as well as relieve exercise pain. Additionally, CBD can help reduce inflammation linked to arthritis, so it can be especially helpful for athletes dealing with chronic joint pain.
What Are The Benefits Of Taking CBD For A Fitness Routine?
CBD can help reduce inflammation caused by strenuous exercise, which can assist in muscle recovery and pain reduction. Additionally, CBD can act as an adaptogen, knowing what your body needs and providing the right response. This includes calming the mind or recovering from exhaustion. It can also help minimize nausea, relieving those who experience digestive issues or difficulty eating before a workout. Finally, CBD can help ease the anxiety associated with exercise, allowing athletes to stay focused and perform at their peak.
IS CBD GOOD FOR ATHLETES? ARE THERE BENEFITS OF CBD FOR ATHLETES?
Potentially, yes. CBD may be able to reduce performance anxiety as well as stress levels. Lowering the overall stress levels experienced by an athlete may be beneficial during competition. Some athletes also use CBD products for better sleep.
HOW MUCH CBD SHOULD ATHLETES TAKE?
That depends on you, as well as what benefits you’re seeking. Always consult your doctor before taking CBD. Individuals may find their sensitivity to CBD products varies significantly. The intended usage of CBD products will also dictate what products you should use. For instance, some athletes may find it beneficial to apply CBD products topically, such as on joints. Best practice is to start with a low dose, around 20mg, to reflect on the effects and to increase the dosage if necessary.
Does CBD Interact With The Endocannabinoid System?
Yes, CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system, a complex network of receptors and neurotransmitters that the body uses to regulate physiological functions such as inflammation, pain, and appetite. The endocannabinoid system consists of two primary receptors, CB1 and CB2, which are found throughout the body and interact with our endocannabinoids. CBD binds to both CB1 and CB2 to affect these functions. Additionally, CBD can help boost the body's own endocannabinoid production, leading to improved overall balance and better health.